Students who enroll at DePaul Cristo Rey High School have already decided to pursue a college education. At DPCR our goal is that “all students will graduate from high school and college.” We believe that students, parents, teachers and staff are all partners in the journey to select the right college for each graduate. Our counseling team works with each student and family to navigate the college exploration and application process.
College Test Prep
Most colleges require applicants to take the ACT and/or SAT college entrance exams. At DPCR, we begin preparing students in ninth grade for these important tests. Our test prep sequence includes:
- 9th and 10th grades = pre-ACT tests ASPIRE 9 and 10
- 11th grade = ACT Boot Camp
- 11th grade = optional PSAT, which is the pre-SAT exam and the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test.
- 11th and 12th grade = ACT (required by DPCR) and SAT (optional)
Campus Visits and College Reps
DPCR schedules campus visits for students during the school year and representatives from many colleges and universities come to DPCR to meet our students and share information on their schools. All students are encouraged to and assisted in applying for summer programs at colleges around the country. .
Colleges are looking for students who have strong academics and participate in activities outside of class, showing leadership and service. DPCR offers many opportunities for involvement including service projects, clubs and athletics
Communication and Research
DPCR’s college counselors offer many tools to help students with the college search and application process:
- Two online programs, Schoology and Naviance, help with college research and news.
- Parent college information meetings.
- A resource of books and information in the counseling center including “The College Handbook” with information about every college and university in the country, “The Book of Majors” and “Getting Financial Aid.”
- Parents are always welcome to call or meet with the counselors to talk about the college application process.
Ms. Kendra J. Mapp, MA, LPC
Director of Counseling Services
513-861-0600, ext. 381
Ms. Jessica Smith, LSC, LSW